Complete our standards-based Online Fire Investigation course Level I from your home computer.
Upon completion, attend a two-day practical skills development and evaluation session. Students who successfully complete the practical and written testing will receive Pro Board® certification from a Pro Board® Accredited Agency.
You must complete Level I Prior to going on to Level II
Register for the American Version of the Fire Investigation Origin and Cause Leve I
Who should take the Fire Investigation Origin and Cause Level I and II course?
Anyone interested in affordable fire investigation education with flexible scheduling should take this program. FireWise programs are designed for restricted budgets (i.e. travel costs and time away from work) and those with busy professional and personal lives. (Formerly known as the NFPA 1033 Fire Investigation education course)
Level II Practicums:
Please note there is a prerequisite online course Fire Investigation Origin and Cause Level I if you haven’t taken it already.
Taber, AB – September 10 & 11 2022 FULL
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Level I meets or exceeds the learning outcomes of sections of NFPA 1021 Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications.
- Several subject matter experts, including Dr. DeHaan, one of the leading experts in the world in the field of fire investigation and author of six editions of Kirk’s Fire Investigation, contributed to the development of the course content.
- Study Guides are the current edition of NFPA 921 or Jones and Bartlett’s “Fire Investigator Principles and Practice”.
- All chapters of NFPA 921 and Jones and Bartlett’s “Fire investigator Principles and Practice” are covered.
- Convenient and affordable fire investigation education with fewer travel costs, less time away from work, and fewer scheduling conflicts.
- Informed by decades of fire investigation fieldwork, this course has all the behind-the-scenes experience to grow individuals professionally.
- Flexible education delivery to meet your needs; successful candidates that complete Level I and II may receive Pro Board® accreditation from the College of the Rockies, or just complete Level I if accreditation is not required.
- University-quality curriculum; easy to navigate learning platform.
Online or blended (if accreditation is required).
Level I: Twenty-four chapters with a mid-term quiz, concluding with a final exam.
- 24 +/- hours of online study time. Work at your own pace.
- Level II: two-day practical skills development and evaluation session including a live cubicle burn plus investigation.
- Level I: $567
- Level II: $1597
FireWise partnered with the world’s leading fire investigation expert, Dr. John David DeHaan to deliver this proprietary training program.
With over 40 years of experience in fire and explosion-related forensic science, Dr. DeHaan has been involved in many national and international efforts to improve fire investigation. He has authored six editions of Kirk’s Fire Investigation since 1982, one of the most widely used textbooks in the field.
Together with Dr. DeHaan, Mr. Bob Turley, a founding partner of FireWise, delivers the fire investigation curriculum founded on 40 years of fire investigation experience. Bob was responsible for developing and implementing numerous fire prevention and investigation training programs. His first-hand knowledge is the foundation for this innovative learning program. Having testified as an expert witness in several fire investigation litigation cases, Bob shares his experience in a way that will benefit any fire investigator. To learn more about Bob’s extensive history, click here.
Fire Investigation Level I only – printable certificate of completion awarded upon achieving 70% or higher.
Complete both Fire Investigation level I and level II and you have completed the training for the NFPA Professional Qualification NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator. Pro Board ® Accredited Certification is provided by the College of the Rockies. Registration is facilitated through FireWise.
Level II class size is limited to 24 participants.
Level II Practicum:
Students wishing to obtain Pro Board® accreditation from the College of the Rockies may opt to participate in a two-day practical skills development and evaluation session including a live cubicle burn plus investigation. Pre-requisite: Completion of the Level I online portion of the course. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, which we are monitoring closely, practicum dates may need to be rescheduled in accordance with provincial health orders.
A high-speed internet connection and current internet browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Edge.
NFPA 921 or Jones and Bartlett’s Fire Investigator Principles and Practice 4th or 5th editions (not provided in course fee).
- The in-house course instructor is available by email or phone for questions and assistance.
- Technical support available during regular business hours.