Registration available for 2020 Practicums!
May 1 – 2, 2020 | Metchosin Fire Department
Register by February 22
June 13 – 14, 2020 | Ponoka County Regional Fire Service
Register by April 4
Who should take this course?
Anyone interested in affordable fire investigation education with flexible scheduling should take this program. FireWise programs are designed for restricted budgets (i.e. travel costs and time away from work) and those with busy professional and personal lives.
- Several subject matter experts, including Dr. DeHaan, one of the leading experts in the world in the field of fire investigation and author of six editions of Kirk’s Fire Investigation, contributed to the development of the course content.
- Study Guides are the current edition of NFPA 921 or Jones and Bartlett’s “Fire Investigator Principles and Practice”.
- All chapters of NFPA 921 and Jones and Bartlett’s “Fire investigator Principles and Practice” are covered.
- Convenient and affordable fire investigation education with fewer travel costs, less time away from work, and fewer scheduling conflicts.
- Informed by decades of fire investigation fieldwork, this course has all the behind the scenes experience to grow individuals professionally.
- The practicum is limited to 24 participants allowing for individual attention from the instructors.
- University-quality curriculum; easy to navigate learning platform.
Online or blended (if accreditation is required).
Twenty-four chapters with a mid-term quiz, concluding with a final exam.
24 +/- hours of online study time. With our suggested learning timeline and defined learning timeframes, this is completed over 9 weeks or at your own pace ahead of a booked practicum.
$995 without ProBoard Accreditation, $1,745 with ProBoard Accreditation. Prices do not include applicable taxes. Register here!
FireWise partnered with the world’s leading fire investigation expert, Dr. John David DeHaan to deliver this proprietary training program.
With over 40 years’ experience in fire and explosion related forensic science, Dr. DeHaan has been involved in many national and international efforts to improve fire investigation. He has authored six editions of Kirk’s Fire Investigation since 1982, one of the most widely used textbooks in the field.
Together with Dr. DeHaan, Mr. Bob Turley, a founding partner of FireWise, delivers the fire investigation curriculum founded on 40 years of fire investigation experience. Bob was responsible for developing and implementing numerous fire prevention and investigation training programs. His first-hand knowledge is the foundation for this innovative learning program. Having testified as an expert witness in several fire investigation litigation cases, Bob shares his experience in a way that will benefit any fire investigator. To learn more about Bob’s extensive history, click here.
Course certificate awarded upon achieving 70% or higher on the online portion of the course. If ProBoard accreditation is required, the completion of the practicum is mandatory.
Students wishing to obtain ProBoard accreditation from the College of the Rockies may opt to participate in a two-day practical skills development and evaluation session including a live cubicle burn plus investigation. Pre-requisite: completion of the online portion of the course. Practicums are scheduled at regular intervals:
May 1 – 2, 2020 | Metchosin Fire Department | 4440 Happy Valley Rd., Metchosin, BC
Register by February 22, 2020
Metchosin is conveniently located in the Greater Victoria area on Southern Vancouver Island, one hour from either the Victoria International Airport or BC Ferries Swartz Bay Terminal.
Download Course Flyer
June 13 – 14, 2020 | Ponoka County Regional Fire Services | East District Fire Hall | 6705 46th Ave., Ponoka, AB
Register by April 4, 2020
Ponoka is conveniently located in central Alberta, 30 minutes north of Red Deer, two hours north of Calgary and 45 minutes south of Edmonton International Airport.
Download Course Flyer
A high-speed internet connection and current internet browser such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Edge.
NFPA 921 (2017) or Jones and Bartlett’s Fire Investigator Principles and Practice 4th or 5th editions (not provided in course fee).
- In-house course instructor is available by email or phone for questions and assistance.
- Technical support available during regular business hours.