The following is a sample Job Description for the position of Administrative Assistant. You are encouraged to copy and alter to meet your requirements.
The Administrative Assistant position provides administration, financial management and record keeping support to the ______ Fire Department. This position requires an individual who possesses excellent organizational skills and the disposition to work well with other department members, local government representatives and the public. The position answers to the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief in the Chief's absence.
The position requires the operation of a personal computer, photocopier, multi-line phone system, and other equipment normally found in a modern office environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain confidentiality about information learned on the job.
- Understand or possess the ability to learn the department policies and procedures.
- Assist the Fire Chief with all aspects of budget preparation and management, including budget disbursement records.
- Purchase and maintains office supplies used by the department.
- Maintain a small petty cash fund.
- Maintain complete and accurate files on department personnel including recruits, existing members and past members.
- Accurately prepare, proof read and edit correspondence, reports and other documents.
- Coordinate the recruitment and orientation of new employees from a human resources perspective.
- Coordinate with the HR Department to ensure procedural compliance with local government policy.
- Prepare statistical information as requested.
- Routinely update the department website as new information is supplied by other department members.
- Perform other related duties and special projects as requested.
- Must be at least 19 years of age and have the ability to work independently.
Requested Skills and Abilities:
Ability to work alone.
Possess the ability to concentrate and accomplish tasks despite numerous interruptions.
Excellent keyboarding skills are needed.
Possess good working knowledge of personal computers with Microsoft Office software and be familiar with computer record management software.
Must be willing to learn new software programs specifically designed for the fire service.
Must be physically and mentally capable of developing, implementing and utilizing a records management system including filing documents and records.
Possess excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English with the public, elected officials, department heads and other fire department members.
Hours of Work:
The department wishes to establish regular office hours for the public. The hours of operation will be based on the incumbent's availability but should be a minimum of four hours per week. If additional hours are required to fulfill the job they are flexible and can be home or fire hall based.
There are a number of reasons to volunteer for this position, including:
- You will become a member of a dynamic group of community minded individuals who want to help others.
- You will add to your skill set and employers will recognize your volunteer contribution.
- Volunteering presents challenges and opportunities for you to grow.
- As you gain experience you gain self confidence and self-esteem.
- Volunteering shows character.